• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Mount Prospect Historical Society

#wrap

  • About Us
    • Our Museum
    • History
    • Virtual House Tour
    • Hometown History Video Series
    • Vanished Mount Prospect
    • Guided Tours of Dietrich Friedrichs Historic House Museum
    • Presentations
    • Dollhouse Tours
  • Shop
  • Volunteer
    • 2026 Junior Camp Counselor Information
  • Donations/Membership
    • Donate
    • Donate an Artifact
    • Giving Tuesday
    • Membership
  • Events
    • Game Nights
    • Holiday Housewalk 2025
    • Saturday Afternoon Teas
    • Bessie’s Workbasket
    • Evening Creations
    • MPHS Book Club
    • Youth Programs
    • Cemetery Walk at St. Paul Lutheran Cemetery
  • Newsletters
  • Central School
    • For Educators
    • Donors
  • Research Resources
    • Pandemic Moments 2020-21
      • COVID-19 Survey 2021
      • Contributing to Pandemic Moments
      • Personal Accounts
      • Youthful Insights
      • Contact Release Form web format
      • Contact Release Form in PDF format
      • Pandemic Reflections
    • Mount Prospect Businesses
    • Churches of Mount Prospect
    • Essays on Mount Prospect’s History
    • Houses of Mount Prospect
    • Lost and Found Mount Prospect
    • Mount Prospect People
    • Schools of Mount Prospect
    • Mount Prospect Stories
    • Structural Memorials
    • Other Sources for Research
    • Centennial 2017
    • Neighborhood Walking Tours
  • Subscribe!

HS Board

July 16, 2012

Northwest Covenant Church

When was it founded: October 1955

Where is it located: 300 North Elmhurst Avenue

Has it moved: No

First Pastor or Priest: David Noreen

History and interesting stories about the church:

Without a formal organization, official pastor, or building of its own, The Covenant Fellowship of Mount Prospect nevertheless held its first worship service June 5, 1955 at Fairview School with Student Pastor David Noreen presiding. The church continued to exist independently until October 30, when the formal organization of Northwest Covenant Church took place with over 52 charter members. Although the church was officially recognized, it was still without its own house of worship. However, the purchase and April 12, 1959 dedication of a building by Northwest Covenant ended the church’s search for a permanent worship site. The next recorded pastor after Student Pastor Noreen is Clarence Agard who finished his service to Northwest Covenant in March 1967.

Filed Under: Churches of Mount Prospect

July 16, 2012

Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church

When was it founded: 1960

Where is it located 1624 East Euclid Avenue

Has it moved: No

Notable Members: Gloria Rees Hansen, Dolores Haugh

First Pastor or Priest: Albert Weidlich

History and interesting stories about the church:

In early 1959, Albert Weidlich came to Mount Prospect as a mission developer intending to capture the interest of the local community. Finding their curiosities piqued, interested individuals assembled to attend the first worship service of Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church on June 21, 1959. However, it was not until six months later on January 29, 1960 that the church was legally recognized. In its early years, Grace Lutheran experienced much growth, its congregation exponentially increasing with new members. It continued to develop at such a frantic pace that from 1966 to 1967, a second building was added to comfortably accommodate the church and its parishioners. Five years later in 1972, it appeared to be the end of an era as Grace Lutheran witnessed the departure of Pastor Weidlich and the arrival of Reverend Kenneth Granquist. Under the guidance of the new religious leader, there seemed to be a rebirth in the church’s focus. Rather than concentrating on the internal, the church itself, Grace Lutheran shifted its attention to the external, the outlying community. Through the creation of community need-based programs addressing alcoholism, drug abuse, and social groups, the church succeeded and is still succeeding in reaching out to their neighbors.

The congregation’s loyalty and faith to Grace Lutheran can be witnessed at every worship service. However, parishioner Gloria Rees Hansen had furthered this devotion by creating a cross inspired by Bible verses: John 1:14, Matthew 26:14-16. Residing prominently on a wall behind the alter, the cross is studded with 63 pieces of brazed bronze: 33 symbolizing a year in Jesus’s life, 30 symbolizing the silver pieces paid to Judas for his betrayal of Jesus. The cross still serves as a vivid reminder to the parishioners of their commitment to both God and church.

Filed Under: Churches of Mount Prospect

July 15, 2012

Zenith Radio Station

Does MPHS have photographs: Yes

Address: Central Road and Rand Road

Is building standing: No

What is at site: Mount Prospect Plaza

When was business founded: 1924

Is business still operating: No. Closed 1970s

Who owned business: Zenith Corporation

Interesting stories, facts, history:

Mount Prospect used to be home to a pair of radio towers and an early broadcasting station. The Zenith towers operated from 1924 through the 1970s. Zenith built the towers in Mount Prospect to broadcast into Chicago and to all the farmers and small towns northwest of the city. Much of early broadcast radio was done live and this station was no different. Bands would come out to the station from Chicago and around the country to play in the broadcasting station. Some very famous musicians from the big band era played in Mount Prospect. For years these towers were the tallest things in Mount Prospect and could be seen for miles. There was a small broadcasting station in between the towers that was also the home of the Zenith employee that ran the station. Gilbert Gustafson was the first station manager for WJAZ who lived in the station with his family from around 1925 through 1935. In the 1920s, radio was in its infancy. Because this area was still mostly farms and there were only a few radio stations broadcasting, there was little interference and on a clear day you could pick up radio stations from hundreds of miles away. Unfortunately, because the radio signals were much weaker, on a day with wind, rain or clouds you could only pick up the most local stations.

You can read an article about the Zenith Radio Station here.

Zenith station and towers on Rand and Central Roads

Filed Under: Businesses of Mount Prospect

  • « Go to Previous Page
  • Page 1
  • Interim pages omitted …
  • Page 88
  • Page 89
  • Page 90
  • Page 91
  • Page 92
  • Interim pages omitted …
  • Page 132
  • Go to Next Page »

Primary Sidebar

Recent Posts

  • From Wright to Bradbury: A Day Trip to SC Johnson Wax and Carnegie Library
  • MPHS 250th Celebration Events
  • Help Us Celebrate Our Semiquincentennial

Community Links

  • Journal and Topics Media Group
  • Mount Prospect Public Library
  • The Daily Herald
  • Village of Mount Prospect

Social Networks

  • Facebook MPHS
  • X (Twitter)

Footer

Please follow & like us :)

Facebook

Archives

Mount Prospect Historical Society
101 South Maple Street
Mount Prospect, IL 60056
847.392.9006
info@mtphistory.org

The Mount Prospect Historical Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that is committed to preserving the history of Mount Prospect, IL, through artifacts, photographs and both oral and written memories of current and former residents and businesspeople.  On its campus in the heart of the Village, the Society maintains the 1906 Dietrich Friedrichs house museum, the ADA-accessible Dolores Haugh Education Center and the 1896 one-room Central School, which was moved to the museum campus in 2008, renovated and opened to the public in 2017, the 100-year anniversary of the Village.

Contact Us!

Copyright © 2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED · Mount Prospect Historical Society Log in