Name of Building or Business: Northwest Hill Country Club House
Address: 600 S. SeeGwun
What is currently at that address: Mount Prospect Golf Club House
Although Axel Lonnquist was able to redefine Mount Prospect, he was not able to make a lot of money on the endeavor. Due to the timing of his investment, he was not able to sell most of his land before the crash of 1929 and the depression that followed. He sold his property in Mount Prospect at huge discounts in 1931 to cover debt. In the time that he owned the land, he had been able to plat the streets, build the country club and a few demonstration homes, but he built very few homes that are standing today. The Country Club was then sold to a man named Harold Wilson who changed the name of the club to the more familiar Mount Prospect Country Club. He made it a semi-private club with annual dues and held onto it until 1950, when he sold it to Henry Sophie. Sophie ran the club until 1958, when he sold the course to Richard Hauff, who was a suspected member of the mafia. Hauff was very controversial, but redesigned the course, hosted the Women’s Master’s PGA tournament in 1959 and then declared bankruptcy in 1960 and put the course up for sale. After an involved fight to pass a referendum, the Mount Prospect Park District finally purchased it in 1961. Over the years, a number of additions were put onto the clubhouse leaving hard to recognize any historic value in the building. The structure was eventually demolished in 2003 although when it came down, a time capsule was found in the corner stone. This held a little glimpse of the glamour and luxury that this building had once represented.