Saint John Lutheran School

Grade levels: K-5

Built: First classes in church 1848

First building 1864

Second building 1901

Third building 1958 added to in 1973

 Is it still standing? The second and third are

Is it still a school? The third is.

History

When the early German immigrants came to Elk Grove one of the first things they did was set up institutions that would preserve and pass on their old world cultural history. The first families, the Linemanns and the Busses arrived in 1848, in the same year they established Saint John Lutheran Church, which offered services in German and in a very orthodox tradition. Later that year, the first school was established. The first classes of Saint John were held inside the church and in 1864 the first school was built. For 47 years this was the only school in Mount Prospect, until the Central School was built in 1895. In 1901 the second school building was built, which was a four room brick building, still standing today. This building was added to in 1926 and served the school until 1958. From 1976 through 2000, this building was used by the Mount Prospect Historical Society, originally as the headquarters of the society and in the last years as storage. In 1958 a new building was constructed across the street, this building continues to be used today, although it was added to in 1973.

Switch to mobile version
%d bloggers like this: