Arlington Beverage Company

Does MPHS have photographs: Yes

Address: Originally, 110-112 W. Fremont in Arlington Heights, moved in 1964 to 1326 W. Central Road

Is building standing: Yes

What is at site: Mount Prospect Public Works

When was business founded: 1872

Is business still operating: No

If no, when did it close:    

Who owned business:  Frederick W. Muller, later sons Henry and William. Sold to Harvey Lutz between 1960 and 1964. Sold to Dick Vandenbark in 1985

Interesting stories, facts, history:

Arlington Beverage Company produced sodas and flavored drinks in the Northwest suburbs for over a century. Bottles of cream soda or the black cherry soda will bring back memories to every one who grew up in the area before the 1980s. The Arlington Beverage Company also ran the “Pop Shop” a local landmark. Started in Arlington Heights, the factory was originally in the ground floor of Frederick Muller’s house and the bottled beverages were delivered by horse and wagon. Over time the company grew and made its founder both wealthy and well known. Two of the homes he built are now on the National Register of Historic Places and are the home of the Arlington Heights Historical Society. Over the years, competition from national brands with massive advertising budgets and economies of scale, made it a less and less attractive business and the Pop Shop closed in the 1990s.

Switch to mobile version
%d bloggers like this: